EagleGet Forum

EG Download Accelerator, All in One Downloader and more.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-20 01:25:49

MisterJ

Comments on EG 1.0.3.0p - great step forward.

I have done some testing on EG 1.0.3.0p using W7 x64 and IE10 running under a VM (VMware Player).
Overall the experience is very good.  It is fast (16 threads helps my DL stay saturated) and I have seen no crashes.  Now some defects:
1. The integrity check does not work.  I altered a valid hash code (MD5 & SHA-1) and there was no message.  ********* This is wrong.  Integrity check works fine.  Sorry. *********
2.Using TCPView (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi … 97437.aspx), at the end of a transfer, ports are closing and new ones opening.  The newly opened ports do not show any bytes transferred for some delay (10s of seconds).  This may be an anomaly of TCPview (it is known to have byte count problems especially under a VM) but I think the developers need to take a closer look.  In one case NetMeter showed some large loss of DL rate then recovered at the end.  This may be 123's DOWNLOAD STABLITY (http://forum.eagleget.com/viewtopic.php?id=411) report.
3.Some completed tasks showed 0% in progress.  I think this is a bug, but the progress heading needs to be replaced for Completed Tasks - perhaps with average DL rate.
4.A large DL (WAIK from MS DL Center) had a filename of Attachment.iso not KB3AIK_EN.iso as should be.  Attachment was the name of a previous DL.
5.Blanks in filenames is corrected except for "Download all links...". 
6.Silent install is still not.
7.Uninstall still leaves lots of junk in the Registry.
8.I saw several files with .egt appended to the end of the name.

Still, overall very good progress.

Some comments and suggestions:
1.Please make all input areas in all dialogs honor right click - Copy, Cut and Paste.
2.If you insist on having a pull down for the hash code (MD5 or SHA-1) please make SHA-1 the default (much stronger check).  I would ask that you consider detecting the code type by byte count (MD5 is 16 bytes and SHA-1 is 20 bytes).  Any other count would be invalid.
3.2048 is not large enough for the limit, perhaps 20,480.

Hope to see soon:
1.Support for Metalink files - versions 3 & 4.
2.Batch DLs.
3.Detailed status (Log) of DLs.     

I also did some error testing by closing various ports during DLs (using TCPView) and disabling net adapters.  Closing ports prompted EG to open new ports and all went well.  Hash codes checked at the end.  I disabled the net adapter during a DL and saw the rate drop to zero then start up again (It has risen!).  I think this was an artifact of the VM having other (virtual) adapters.  I disabled them all till I got a DL aborted message (max server retries).  I then re-enabled all adapters and the DL started up but hung at 99%.  I closed EG and reopen it and the DL completed with good hash codes - Great job!

Notice I did no testing on video and the like.  I do little of this and will leave the testing to others.  A great tool is to use the "Download all links..." on most any web page.  All kinds of interesting files will be in the list.  I also suspect some limits need to be imposed here.  At on time I had more than 100 ports open and the DL rate for any one file was really low.  Either a total maximum of threads or a maximum of simultaneous tasks. 
I may well edit this post as I remember and test more.  Please let me know if I can probe some other areas.
Enjoy, J.

Last edited by MisterJ (2013-03-21 15:27:46)

#2 2013-03-20 15:56:09

eagleget
Administrator

Re: Comments on EG 1.0.3.0p - great step forward.

Nice review!

Regarding to file integrity check, you will receive a warning dialog only when hash code is invalid. If you have better idea about this feature, please let me know.

I'll read other parts of this article later. smile

#3 2013-03-20 16:13:22

MisterJ

Thanks.  I get no message for bad or good hash checks.  I would like to see a message in both cases.  I tried the AV scan with Comodo Internet Security (CIS, v6.0...).  I got a message from CIS but none from EG.  Again I would like to get a message on the virus scan successful or failed.  I am unable to add file types to the "File type to scan".  This is needed and I suggest you add .7z (7-Zip) to the defaults.  BTW, does the Reset button at the bottom of Configurations return all settings to default or just the selected page?  Enjoy, J.

EDIT: Messages can be presented in a log file (as FDM does).  I understand detecting if the virus scan failed is a problem with the many security applications, but at least a log entry saying a scan was conducted (expect AV to shout if it finds virus).  Integrity check would say good or bad and perhaps bad could open a dialog.

EDIT again: I did some more testing and the Integrity check is working fine.  I do not know what happened yesterday, perhaps my bad.  Also I can add file types to the AV scan.  Again I do not know what happened, but I am sure I could not yesterday.  I have seen at other times some strange behavior of the Configurations menus that do not let me enter data.

EDIT yet again:  A bizarre one: Using this page (http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/i … ;dl=item26), EG does not pickup the DL on left click but using right click "Download with EG" DLs a strange file indeed.  It is usually 14 bytes too long.  There are seven bytes at the front and end that don't belong.  Stripping off these bytes (hex editor) results in the correct file (hash codes check).  Trying all User Agent selections usually produced this file, but sometime a different length.

Last edited by MisterJ (2013-03-21 00:53:20)

#4 2013-03-21 09:54:38

eagleget
Administrator

Hi John,

I've completely read your review.

I'll do some test on the bugs or problems you've mentioned (Point 2,3,4,5,7...).

Regarding to the Point 8, EagleGet will add EGT extension for all files that are being downloaded.

And also, I'll consider display the file integrity check results on the download task list.

However, it may not convenient to get the virus scan results from AV, and I'll do some research.

Other functions and optimizations will be taken into account, seriously.

#5 2013-03-21 10:14:47

eagleget
Administrator

Could you please tell me, which Uninstaller program you are using?

#6 2013-03-21 15:43:15

MisterJ

eagleget, I do not think you need try to display any results of the AV check.  Many other things should take priority and the many AV apps will drive you crazy.  The AV application should definitely report bad news and mine reports good news.  Your idea of posting results of the integrity check on the task list is good and you could indicate an AV check was done.  I used the W7 Control Panel to do the uninstall - assume this just calls your uninstall.exe.  I notice you did not mention item 6 (silent install).  I think you need to uncheck the option on the last install screen that says "Start EagleGet".  That way I will see the ads when I first start EG.  On item 8, I sometime see both the correct file name and the name with .egt added to the name in my DL folder after all DLs are completed.  Using "Download all links..." is a quick way to generate many DLs and exposed this problem for me.  Thanks and enjoy, J.

EDIT:  The uninstaller is unins000.exe and I found the entry in the Registry for EagleGet.

Last edited by MisterJ (2013-03-21 15:52:41)

#7 2013-03-21 16:28:04

eagleget
Administrator

Your suggestions on AV check and integrity check are good, I will make some changes to these functions. And I will do some more tests regarding to the EGT file extension problem.

If you need assistance on silent install, please mail me. smile

#8 2013-03-22 01:41:37

MisterJ

Link http://download.microsoft.com/download/ … AIK_EN.iso always assigns the filename attachment.iso not KB3AIK_EN.iso.  My comment above is wrong.  Enjoy, John.

#9 2013-03-22 03:11:06

eagleget
Administrator

MisterJ wrote:

Link http://download.microsoft.com/download/ … AIK_EN.iso always assigns the filename attachment.iso not KB3AIK_EN.iso.  My comment above is wrong.  Enjoy, John.

Confirmed! Will be fixed soon.

Board footer