EagleGet Forum

EG Download Accelerator, All in One Downloader and more.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-06 04:15:40

sblejm

All download progress lost and download restarted from beginning

This bug appears to be pretty random but it has happened to me about 7 or 8 times. Most of the time I can stop and resume and update download addresses without any problem but sometimes either when a download stops on its own because of a problem or I stop it or I try to resume, the download progress goes to zero and I have no choice but to start the whole download from the very beginning. In a related problem, earlier today I spent 5 hours downloading a game from Desura and I double clicked on the small progress bar at the bottom right of my screen and that caused EagleGet to crash. When I restarted EagleGet, my download progress was at 0.00%. I have these problems more than most people because my extremely slow connection causes lots of download stoppages and timeouts.

#2 2013-09-06 09:43:39

eastern

Re: All download progress lost and download restarted from beginning

hi,
sblejm you mentioned about slow connection and i am also in the same shoes as you but some time when you downloading a file a lot of factor could contribute to the problem above for example mainly the server timeout. In order to prevent this problem before resume any download link i always made a research if the server allowed resume by downloading  a file click stop then resume again if failed to resume i did as following:

1-refresh the link and copy the new  link to old downloading file

2-the second you can get here (http://forum.eagleget.com/viewtopic.php?id=691)try it if its working for you some others user manage to resume the file

personally i think slow internet connection cause a lot of problem during downloading. Wait for Admin Mayer and Mister J to reply for further details.

#3 2013-09-06 20:48:20

MisterJ

Thanks, eastern. 
sblejm thanks and welcome.  Please provide some URLs for testing and tell us what version of EG you are using.  Large DLs for slow links are a problem for all Download Managers, I suspect.  The developers have spent some time on these and I hope have provided some help, but it is a tough problem.  I suggest first that you increase your retry count to 100 which is the maximum.  Sometime the log file will indicate if resume is supported by the server.  Click the [-> and select >>Log.
Task_Mon.jpg
Is this image the "small progress bar at the bottom right of my screen" you are talking about?  It is called the TaskMonitor.  I double clicked it a number of times and had no problems.  Please tell more about your conditions when you saw the crash.  Did you get a dialog from EagleGet requesting you to send in the crash dump?  If so, did you do so?  It is very important to briefly describe what you were doing and send in the dump.  You do not need to include your e-mail address.  When I get one, I always send it in, then open a bug report describing what happened and report that the crash dump was sent.  I don't want to push anyone away from EagleGet, but there are other applications that may help deal with slow DL speeds and interrupted DLs.  One is Wget and another is Aria2.  Both are command line applications and can resume a stopped DL using the URL and current partial file, if the server allows.  Command line tools are typically harder to use but if either of you is interested in learning these perhaps they can help.  Hopefully EG will serve you for almost all you needs and these can help at times.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

#4 2013-09-13 07:22:50

sblejm

Thanks guys. I don't use eagleget as much now because the download problems kinda scared me off so I can't remember any specific examples of a download problem except for that weird crash with the double click crash and yes I was talking about the TaskMonitor but that only happened one time and is not repeatable. It happened downloading from here: http://www.desura.com/games/bloop/download I was downloading the full game but the demo is probably pretty similar.

I was using version 1.1.0.4 but I didn't see any message about a crash dump so I can't help you there. I'll try to start using Eagleget some more to see if I can get a repeat problem and give you some better details about it. All I know is that I have never had these problems with Free Download Manager and I have used it for years. FDM never loses my progress and has never started a download from the beginning without me specifically telling it to do so. There are some things I like better about EagleGet so hopefully it gets sorted out.

Eastern, thanks for your tips. I use #1 all the time but I have tried #2 on other download managers but never got it to work so hopefully EagleGet is different. My tip for resuming truly unresumable downloads is to try to remotely upload them to a file sharing site and then resume the download from there. This is great if you have lost a lot of progress or else connection problems keep stopping your download with no resume capability. The problem is finding a file share site with remote upload and resumable downloads. I use a site called billionuploads for this if you are interested.

#5 2013-09-13 11:35:23

eastern

hi ,

sblejm i can assure you that #2 is working and i have personally try it on 600 mb video....trust me its working

Last edited by eastern (2013-09-13 11:35:44)

#6 2013-09-13 14:12:02

eagleget
Administrator

sblejm, sorry for the inconvenience, we had fixed this problem in V1.1.0.5, and added detection for breakpoints, Please download the latest version.  thanks for your support, we will improve this function constantly

#7 2013-09-24 06:03:47

sblejm

@eastern I have tried trick #2 and it worked fine for me also so great find there.

@eagleget Since updating I have not had any more of those resets to 0% so it looks like you fixed it. Thanks a lot.

Board footer